The Banzai Institute - Houston Branch
Philosophy in the world of Buckaroo Banzai
Don’t be mean, we don’t have to be mean. Just remember – no matter where you go, there you are. – B. Banzai
Comfort the afflicted, afflict the comfortable. – B. Banzai
Beauty in everyday life. – kanji on B. Banzai’s headband
Buckaroo’s Five Verities:
- A man should love others better than himself.
- To serve is more honorable than to command.
- To give one’s life for another is the greatest glory.
- Unrequited love is the greatest happiness.
- Poverty is the best state for man, although a pauper should accept a certain amount of wealth to relieve the unhappiness of the rich.
Every year we pass the anniversary of our death. – B. Banzai
A scientist, like a warrior, must cherish no view. A ‘view’ is the outcome of intellectual processes, whereas creativity, like swordsmanship, requires not neutrality or indifference but to be of no mind whatsoever. – B. Banzai
After the first death, there is no other. – B. Banzai
Nothing real can defeat us. Nothing unreal exists. – B. Banzai
Sometimes verbal ingenuity is not enough. – B. Banzai
Nothing is ever what it seems but everything is exactly what it is. – B. Banzai
Greatness can only be achieved when it is not sought. – B. Banzai
If all wishes were granted, what would be left to dream? – B. Banzai
All of us have wings. Some of us just don’t know what they’re for. – B. Banzai
Nobody is nobody. Everyone has something to offer. – B. Banzai
Be careful of half-truths. You might have the wrong half. – Reno of Memphis (formerly Reno Nevada)
When the pupil is ready a master will appear. – Reno’s fave saying
Hope is a dream by one who is awake. – Aristotle
Death is the mother of beauty. – Lectroid philosophy
Assumption is the mother of all mistakes. – Unknown fact #89
Mystery is the source of all true art and science. – Masado Banzai
Treat me good, I’ll treat you better. Treat me bad and I’ll treat you worse. – motto of the Blue Blaze Irregulars
Few will have the greatness to bend history but each time a man stands up for an ideal or acts to improve the lots of others or strikes out against injustice he sends forth a tiny ripple of hope. And crossing each other from a million different centers of energy and daring those ripples build a current which can sweep down the mightiest walls of oppression and resistance – Robert F. Kennedy
From Hanoi Xan’s Little Book of Wisdom
- There’s no reason to be the richest and most powerful man in the cemetery. You can’t do any business from there.
- We cannot all do great things. But we can do small things with great evil.
- The more I study the world, the more I am convinced of the inability of brute force alone to create anything durable. You must also be cleaver and devious.
- It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has exceeded our humanity. Isn’t this wonderful!
- You can fool some people sometimes and you can’t fool all the people all the time but you can kill anyone, anytime.
- If my people are evil only because they fear punishment, and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed.
- To kill an enemy makes sense. To kill an enemy without taking everything he owns makes no sense at all.
- Philanthropy is the disease of fools.
- Just say no to drugs, unless you are in the business of selling them.
- A happy slave works hard, but a scared slave works even harder.
- There are only three important words in the entire world- I, me, mine.
- Always kick a man when he’s down if it will stop him from getting back up.
- When shooting a man in the back, always keep an eye on your own.
- A living witness and a dripping faucet have one thing in common- they both make it hard to fall asleep.
- To not take revenge on an enemy is a sign of weakness that other enemies will exploit.
- Most disagreements can be settled by a single bullet.
- Never let a whisper go unnoticed.
- You can get a lot more done with vicious words and a gun than with vicious words alone.
- Better to curse the darkness than to light a candle.
- He who seeks revenge should remember to first dig a grave.
- To guess is foolish. To guess wrong is deadly.
- It’s not important how many people I’ve killed, what’s important, is how I get along with the people who are still alive.
- The powerful man becomes the free man.
- Even a hare will bite when it is cornered, so kill it before it gets there.
- Forget injuries, never forget betrayal.
- A gem cannot be polished without friction, nor a man perfected without trials.
- Great souls have wills; feeble ones have only wishes.